Saturday, June 1, 2013

My New Running Buddy

There is nothing like a puppy to keep you motivated to run every day!

Okay, so she isn't exactly a puppy. We're estimating she's 2-3 years old, and the poor thing just came to us last week. My son's stepbrother found her playing in traffic and since he couldn't keep her he brought her here.

She is such a sweet dog that I can't believe no one is looking for her.


She has a collar but no tags and no microchip, and other than being very thin she's in good health. My Disney-loving four year old named her Lady, though there is clearly no physical resemblance, and it only took her a couple of hours to start answering to her new name. She stays home, even when she's out in the front yard while I'm doing yard work, and other than needing a lesson on staying out of the kitchen trash she's been very well behaved. But she gets along with our other dog, is very gentle with Katie, and is the sort of animal that just has a way of making you smile.


And boy is she high-energy! We're going out together morning and night for long walks and a little running, but it never fails that I get tired before she does. She's certainly good for my training, though - unless it is pouring rain she wants to be outside and she'll gladly keep going as long as I'm willing. In fact, she pretty much never sits still!

Right now, we're alternating between working on pace and distance. Twice a week we're covering the full 10K distance at a brisk but not especially challenging pace, and three times a week we're working on a 5K distance at a faster pace.

My next run with my daughter is July 20, quite a long way off still. I think with Lady's help a 14min pace is a reasonable goal to shoot for.

No comments:

Post a Comment